Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Cervical Cancer Awareness Month- Jaymie's story

My name is Jaymie. I am a 45 year old, who has two beautiful children.  I have always been a pretty good person to have my annual pap smears,and they always came back normal, ALWAYS!

In October of 2012, I learned I had HPV 16.  The only reason I found out, is because I was dating a man who after we had sex, told me he had genital warts. I went into full panic mode, and went to my gynecologist for a check up.  I had not been in 4 years, so it was overdue anyways.  I told my Dr the situation, and she did a full STD panel on me, as well as a pap.

10 days later, I was in the office being told I had HPV 16.  I knew HPV caused cancer and warts. I wasn't sure about all the technicalities on HPV.  The Dr told me, that yes, in fact I had the cancer causing HPV, so we needed to do a colposcopy right away.  The following week I had my colposcopy, two biopsies were taken.  The Dr said at the time, it looked mild, but we would have to wait for results.  Again, 10 days later, and it was the longest 10 days of my life.  Dr told me the results were CIN I, and I could return in 6 months for a re-check.

My 6 month re-check was supposed to be in May 2013.  All along for the past 10-15 years I was having what I now know to be Cervical pain, stabbing pain, and I was having  a period every two weeks for the past 5 years.  Most would recognize the two week period, but I had my tubes tied, so I didn't pay attention to my periods.

My cervical pain was getting so bad, I had to go in early for my re-check.  Dr saw me, and did a pelvic on me, she did not say much, only she wanted to do an ultrasound. I had the ultra sound two days later and saw Dr right after.  Dr said, "your ultrasound is clear, and all looks normal, but i know something is wrong, so i want to do an ECC biopsy on you." I agreed as long as my pain stopped.

2 days later, I was back to have my procedure.  The medicine they gave me to dialate my cervix, caused me alot of pain, like I was in labor all over. As the Dr is prepping for the biopsy, I am contracting, and having a lot of pain.  Dr looks, and my cervix is closed shut. She was concerned, this is not normal and she want to do a D&C asap.

It took several weeks to book my D&C.  On June 25th I had the D&C.  My dr did not see me after procedure, so I assumed everything was fine.  

14 days later, I am back in her office for pathology results.  Here is where I go into a whirl wind.  Dr tells me, your ECC was negative, your colposcopy was negative.  When I did your D&C I found what I thought was a fybroid on the top of your uterus. It was removed, and tested.  The pathology on that was Endometrial Cancer, but my cervix was fine.

I was recommended to have a full hysterectomy A.S.A.P.
Dr told me to go home and wrap my head around this first, and in one week we will decide on. I was also given an option of just hormone therapy. I went home and decided to get a second opinion, by an oncologist.

It is now August 29....tick tock......

Dr agrees the best plan is a total hysterectomy. It is scheduled for September 11th. I have my hysterectomy.

9 days later, pathology day. The Dr is confused, and has reports from the gynecologist in front of him.  "Jaymie, you had stage 0 cervical cancer." ..."WHAT????"  Yes, total pathology show cervical cancer, but here is the kicker, no uterine cancer was found....lol, I was very confused, but the Dr has no way to determine all this now. So now I have to go for my first "Vault Smear" next week. I'm scared, because my pain is not gone.

Not all cancers grow slow like they say, my HPV, is supposed to be the slow type. Not from what I see.

Thank you for letting me tell my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment