Sunday, January 12, 2014

Cervical Cancer Awareness Month- Mandy's Story

My name is Mandi Powell. I'm 29 years old, and I would like to share a story about my battle with cervical cancer. 


My story is a little different than others, because mine started at such a young age. I was 16 when I first found out I had Pre-Cell Cervical Cancer. I started feeling sick, had unusual bleeding and irregular periods with lots of pain. I was so young I never dreamed it could be anything serious. I assumed that my body was just adjusting to my menstrual cycles. The symptoms got worse and I continued to get sick, and feel weak. So my mom made me a doctors appointment. My doctor sent me to the hospital to have an ultrasound done. That's when they discovered my Pre-Cervical Cancer cells. They said I needed to see a Gynecologist. I'm in a panic one because that's very over whelming news for me, and two because I had never seen a gynecologist before, so it was all new to me. I was terrified! They started doing pelvic exams and biopsies on me. I had to have a Laser Surgery done, which is a laser beam used to burn off cells. I spent a lot of time at the doctors. I had four different Laser Surgeries done before they got it all. It was the best feeling in the world knowing it could have been so much worse. I started feeling better and went on living my life the way a young girl should. When a couple years later it all came back. The symptoms were so much worse this time. I wanted to put it off. Not wanting to go through all of that again, I knew it was for the best that I go. I found out I was in the early stages of Cervical Cancer. I then had to have a Leep procedure done. This was the best approach for me since I was young and obviously wanted to have children, even though they said there was a chance that might never happen for me. After that I was in great health. I was having Pap Smears done every six months, then I was able to go once a year. I then went on to have my first child when I was almost 19. I was so thankful that I was able to survive my battle and start a family. When I was 20, I went for my yearly and it came back I had Pre-Cells once again. I went through all the same steps and was back to feeling great again. I had my second child when I was 22. After my second child, my doctor suggested I have my tubes tied. He thought it was for the best because my second pregnancy took a lot out of me. That pregnancy was very hard and I was very weak, so I had that procedure done, and I've had several other surgeries since then, including an ablation for my dysfunctional uterine bleeding, and a partial hysterectomy for my endometriosis all before turning 30. I'm so thankful to say I survived all of this at such a young age. I hope my story makes more young girls more aware of how serious your health is, and how important it is to see a gynecologist and get regular pap smears like you should. I know doctors and gynecologist can be scary, but please look past your fears because it could save your life.



No comments:

Post a Comment