Sunday, January 19, 2014

Cervical Cancer Awareness Month- Sherri's Story

Hi my name is Sherri, and I'd like to share my story with you. 
My day started out like many others; some belly cramps and back pain. Nothing new over the past few years. Another sign of a painful period again, so I thought. As my day went on the  bloating continued to get worse and worse, and within an hour I had to unbutton my pants and just sit because the pain knocked me off my feet.  My belly continued to swell so much that it looked as if I was going to deliver a baby at any moment. I called my husband saying something was seriously wrong and he came right home to take me to the hospital. The look on his face told me he was scared too. As soon as we got to the hospital, the nurses were running for a wheelchair because they thought I was in labor! I kept explaining I was not pregnant, that this had only happened an hour ago, but no one listened. I was taken to a room where a doctor followed me in immediately. He kept saying they were not prepared to deliver a baby at this hospital and they may have to airlift me to another hospital.  Again, NOT listening to me. They throw me on a table and do an exam. Well, you are NOT pregnant they say. Not a big shock to me! I told you this 20 minutes ago! So they take me for further testing. Thankfully they did give me something for pain. Hours later I am told there is something abnormal, it is  a growth, but we don't think its cancer. I was told to follow up with a gynecologist the next day. My mother went with me that day and it was an experience i pray everyday I could forget. The doctor did the exam with POOR bedside manner to say the least. He told me it was an obvious reason as to why my periods were so painful, I had a tumor, a large tumor. I was told to clean myself up and meet him in his office. My mom and I sat down and waited. Now this is NO exaggeration, he walked in, sat in his chair looked at results and said, "You have cancer, there is nothing i can do to help you,so I will refer you to another doctor."  I couldn't hold back the tears. He was so thoughtful to TOSS a small box of kleenex to me as he continued to write a referral. My mom made the call to the gynecologist oncologist and we went there  within the next hour. I hated him before I even got there! I didn't trust doctors now. I was cold, shut down, you name it. I sat in his office waiting, and when he walked in and looked at me, he patted me on the shoulder and said, "I'm going to do everything I can to help you. Do you trust me?" I told him no. I trust no one. We went to the exam room and he did everything possible to make it easy. It was a fast exam. and we were back in his office in no time. The look on his face said it all, it was bad. We didn't have much time. I was sent for biopsy and then a radiation oncologist in no time. I was stage 3B and given 9 months (if i was lucky) without treatment. The tumor was the size of a six month fetus, and the plan was to shrink it, and then go in and remove it. After 60 radiation treatments and 8 chemotherapy, and four HDR treatments, they told me we can't do surgery! The treatments did so much damage they could not go in and remove the tumor, so now we will just continue ct scans and pet scans on a regular basis to make sure it doesn't grow. I was diagnosed in 2008. Six years later, my intestines are destroyed beyond repair. I have been in and out of hospitals more times than I can tell you. So many doctors all blame the chemo and radiation. I am SO VERY thankful to BE here. So many are not as lucky as I have been. But, so many people think if you beat cancer that thats the end of it, no one tells you about the life some people live afterwards. It is difficult too. For the last six years, my boy Taz has got me thru this. He never left my side, even when friends and family did, because it was too much for them to handle. My mom has been amazing through this journey. I cannot thank her enough for everything she has done for me. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing Sheri! God bless you, your husband, your mom and the rest of your family. Prayers for special blessings! 0;^)

    ReplyDelete